The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gentlemen: I Commend These Words to You

I am currently sitting in the seminary library researching the passage entitled in my NRSV Bible "Springtime of Love" from the Song of Solomon (a.k.a. Song of Songs), verses 2:8-17. I ran across this most beautiful of passages that I commend to you, gentlemen. Squirrel this passage away during the hard winter months and then lovingly whisper them to you beloved when Spring stirs in the world:

"Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away;
for now the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone,
The flowers appear on the earth;
the time of singing has come,
and the voice of the turtledove
is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs,
and the vines are in blossom;
they give forth fragrance.
Arise, my love, my fair one,
and come away."
v. 2:10-14

You won't do better than that for romance in the warming air amidst the flowers.

You'd be surprised what you can find in the Bible. God's Word is full of surprises and much wisdom of the ages if you know where to look for it.

If you think of it, come back in the spring and let me know how it goes when you utter these honeyed words and lure your honey away (details not necessary).
... come away

No comments: