The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tiny Computer App Speaks Volumes

I recently activated a little app that came with my laptop. It's a small screen on the main page that tells me the temperature outside in my location, whether it is day or night, and what the weather conditions are outside. At first this struck me as odd, but convenient. Then it hit me as highly appropriate. We live in a computerized world now and spend inordinate amounts of time before one screen or another. For a blog jockey, writer, and editor like me, I guess this is actually a necessary device. I spend a heck of a lot more time before the glowing screen than out in glowing sunlight. I use the little app. I use it for its intended purpose. I also use it to tell me to get off my butt, get away from the computer, and go see for myself what the weather is like outside. This little app truly speaks volumes about our current situation.

Okay, I'm getting up now and going out to meet the natural world for a while now. The air is crisp with the promise of autumn, the days are getting shorter, the nights longer, and I need to go see it all for myself. How about you?

No comments: