The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Seeking Surprise and Joy in the New Year

Happy New Year to you!

I intend to make a resolution I can keep this year. Each and every day I am going to prepare myself to keep alert for whatever surprise the day has for me. I'm going into the day with the expectation of something unexpected, whether great or small. Going into each day with those new eyes and the expectation of some small adventure, life will be more lively. This suggestion comes from Henri Nouwen.

Also, I will do my best to enter the day with joy (which is different from happiness as it is more sticky and can even be clung to when grieving) and positive words and deeds for others. When I am not feeling that joy (and there are quite a few mornings I expect I will not) I will pretend and see where that leads me. As C.S. Lewis suggests, if you want to be uplifting and don't feel it, pretend to be uplifting and soon enough, much to your own surprise, you will be.

Those resolutions I can keep. Care to join me on this expedition of surprise and joy?

If you like what you read here, you can support this blog: You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishingllc.com/index_files/OldLinePublishingChildrensMichaelandtheNewBabybyJSBrooks.htm 


No comments: