The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Unexpected Humor from Microsoft's Spell Check

I write and edit for a living. It's what I do. I would never do it without a computer ... I used to back in the day, but not anymore, never. I know my way around Microsoft Word. I keep the spell check updated with the arcana I edit and leave the suggestions running as a second, AI set of eyes.

Yesterday, while editing fashion-related material, the spell check highlighted womenswear as being wrong ... as this spell checker just did. The first suggestion for its replacement was "women swear." Considering the subject matter I found this downright amusing and many women may consider it entirely appropriate. Come to think of it, with menswear ... Yeah, I think spell check may be on to something.
Womenswear, women swear, yeah, I can see it.

The response was a lot more profound than I'd expected. Like I said, I'll never write without a computer again. Keep on suggestin' li'l buddy. I'm listening.
If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishingllc.com/index_files/OldLinePublishingChildrensMichaelandtheNewBabybyJSBrooks.htm 




No comments: