The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, December 10, 2012

Adventures in Fitness 11: One Guy's Attempt to Knock the Rust Off: SETBACK!

When you have the condition I have, adventures get sidetracked by sickness during the transitional seasons of the year. Poets may rhapsodize about the beauties of spring and fall, but when your nose clogs and you cough incessantly, you feel a little different about the changes of season. It's been a while since I was last able to exercise.

Getting back to the gym is a big challenge. You make all sorts of excuses for why you just can't get away right now. It's okay. Everyone does it. But tonight I returned. I know my own body and my male ego really well. So, reigned in ego and put in shorter times on my favorite machines, particularly the elliptical (which was hard to pull away from with the Patriots playing Monday night football on one of the screens). Notched the weights down to near introductory levels considering I managed to pull the muscles in the middle of my back a while ago ... I didn't know you could do that!!!

You forget just how good it feels to be working out when you're away from it for a while. Why that is, I just don't know. It would be harder to procrastinate if I had a better memory for just how good it feels to be working out all those muscles. In the first five minutes on the elliptical I felt the first intimations of a runner's high. At ten minutes in, the whole body is running smoothly (the first couple of minutes the chest tightens, breathing is short ... but with experience you learn to ignore that and push on for the good stuff), and all the cares of the world drop away one by one. [Here's the big secret, you just can't exercise hard and worry at the same time. It's impossible. Another plus for exercise.] And afterwards, when you return home, the relaxed muscles and unconcerned mind linger on into the evening and you remember just why it is all worth it.

So, if you too have fallen off the treadmill, elliptical or whatever your favorite equipment is, force yourself back to the gym for a short workout the first time. Remind yourself just how good it feels. Then set up a schedule again to get back there several times a week and try to stick to it. That's my next challenge.

See you at the gym. Good luck to you. I'll be there with you in spirit.


If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/




No comments: