The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, December 10, 2012

Judged ... and Discounted ... It Was Only a Matter of Time

"It was only a matter to time. It was bound to happen sooner or later. You knew this was coming."

These are the things I tell myself, but it doesn't ease the shock of it all.

Over the weekend my wife and I went out to see Lincoln as a date night movie. We purchased our tickets and went into the theater. My wife made a stop necessitated by the fact that this would be a 2 hour plus movie and when she came back, she had a smirk on her face. She handed over the ticket stubs to me and said, "I'd wondered why the tickets cost less than they should." I had not given it much thought.

I took the stubs and looked at them. The  first read "Adult" but the second, that second stub read "Senior." It was for me. I had been judged by the young ticket taker and without any verification required been deemed a member of the elder set.

Oh cruel fate, or irresistible wheel of time, you have turned upon me at last.

Well, I guess it's time to join AARP now at 53. I've been putting it off, but what's the point, now, now that I've been judged old by the Regal Cinema staff. I surrender. Give me my card and my senior discount.

But I'm not going to the rocking chair yet. I'm not done, not by a long shot. Off to the gym to exercise and debate with myself whether hair coloring is in my future!


If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/




No comments: