The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Small Scale Mission: Finding a Different Way to Help Others

For a while now, I've made it a small, personal Christian mission to carry a Bible around in the car. If anyone asks for a Bible, I give the one in the car away to them. It's simple and direct. So far, only three Bibles have gone into the world this way, but it keeps my eyes and ears open to opportunity.

I've extended this small mission further, following the well known instruction by Jesus in Matthew 7:12: "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets." Over Christmas I was given a pair of chemical hand warmers, each able to keep hands warm for 7 hours on a cold day. This would have been great for me back in the days when I worked outdoors as an archaeologist on some very cold days surveying or excavating some site or other. But now, I really didn't need them. I put them in the glovebox in the car ... and then it hit me. Here was a new small mission. I'd find someone who needed these warmers and give them to him or her. Lo and behold, the next day I was driving home and saw our mail carrier on the other side of the street. The day was  bitterly cold and he had one hand bare to better handle the mail he was carrying.

I stopped the car, politely called him over, and asked him if he could use the hand warmers. He smiled broadly and answered that he could. He gratefully received the warmers that meant so little to me and so very much more to him. We passed a seasonal greeting with each other and each of us went on our way a little happier for the encounter over this small act of kindness that passed between us. I'm looking at the flotsam and jetsam of life around the house with new eyes now. I'm wondering what to carry next to brighten someone else's day. Maybe several somethings ... we shall see. Where this will lead I can't possibly say, but I'm looking forward to finding out. This could be the beginning of a much larger adventure.


If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/




No comments: