The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Friday, January 18, 2013

When Your Nook Won't Shop ... A Solution

Just before Christmas, my first generation Nook stopped shopping from home. I'd press the shop icon on that colorful little strip at the bottom of the Nook, it would begin to go to the Barnes and Nobles site ... and then switch back to its opening screen, much to my annoyance.

The timing seemed a little suspicious too, with all those bright and shiny next gen Nooks looking for homes under Christmas trees. But I'm not the conspiracy minded sort, so I asked the Nook reps at our local B&N what the deal was. They told me it was a computer glitch and that they had a patch for it. Just bring that Nook in and we'll fix it up. They added, when you bring it in, hit the shop button first and make sure it will go to shop then. People have been having problems shopping from home, but not from the store, not if its the problem we think it is.

And so, I procrastinated. So much to do and so little time. The new year rolled around and finally I gathered up my Nook, took it into the store and found a different rep behind the Nook book counter. First, I dutifully tried to shop from B&N itself, and yes, the Nook went right into shop mode. Then I took my Nook and my story to the current rep. She told me there was no such patch that she knew of. She had me check my settings and sure enough, my first gen Nook's program was up to date, That's version 1.7.0 in case you're wondering, and yes it was. Then she told me to go home and try a simple solution that left me feeling just a little bit foolish. It's so simple you see.

So, if your trusty first generation Nook decides not to shop for you at home any more, here's what you do. You turn it off, like you would any misbehaving computer. Then you turn it on again. Then you try to shop ... and you can. Simple as that. Really.

Life works to keep us humble sometimes.

Oh, by the way, if that doesn't work, I'm told the best time to contact tech support is before 11 AM at 1-800-THE-BOOK




If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I had a similar problem with my old phone...not even a fancy phone at all...a tiny little Nokia that I had inherited from my niece when she upgraded. I couldn't make calls...nothing...so I broke down and took it to the AT&T store, where they shut it off and restarted it...and...MAGIC!

J.S. Brooks said...

Amazing the way that works Betsy. It made me feel silly when the solution was so simple (yet relieved). I just keep forgetting all these devices are little computers and that the old off on trick works for them all.