The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, March 21, 2013

"Brilliant" Passwords: Sloggin' Thru Blogging

After many years, it finally happened. My primary email address was hacked ... twice. The first time, a stupid post was sent and responded to by outside sources foreign to me. My provider alerted me and told me what to do. I did it ... but not well enough. The second time the provider just told me to change my password as "suspicious activity" had been associated with my account. So, this time I took things more seriously and read the provider's instructions for creating a truly worthy password.

Here's what you need:

  • At least one capital letter
  • At least one symbol 
  • At least one number
I pulled together all of these elements in abundance and was told in response that my password was not weak, good, or strong ... but "brilliant." 

Be brilliant. Avoid the embarrassment of needing to make a statement to all your addressees that no you have not set up a "special" website where they can go and look at pictures of you set up "just for them" and signed with "hugs." Avoid the worry about what else these invaders might have been looking for ... and how they might have enslaved your machine with malware. You may not think there's any reason anyone would hack your email. You'd be wrong. Some don't need reasons. Others have reasons you just don't want to know. 

So, be brilliant, be safe, and change that brilliant password often with other equally brilliant bulwarks against the barbarians at the gate.

Brilliant book, too: If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

No comments: