The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Elastic Time: A Mystery

The other day, I heard from an acoustic biologist who stated on Krista Tippet's show, On Being that she firmly believes we are only hitting the tip of the iceberg on all there is to know. She made her discoveries by approaching her topics--communication among elephants and whales (within their own species and not cross species, just so you know)--by bringing a childlike wonder to her studies.

Well, I'm working with a mystery as well. I call it "elastic time." We hear there are only so many hours in a day. We hear that we never have enough time. However, I have discovered over the years ... first while working full time, being a loving parent and husband, and attending seminary part time and now while working with the church on various projects (graduated seminary but the rest remains the same) ... that time is mysteriously elastic when I have worthwhile projects to accomplish. I find I can scrounge up more time in the day than I would have thought possible. Even this blog post has come after three side projects this morning that needed attention. I have the same number of minutes as always, but somehow, while working on worthy projects, those minutes just seem to mysteriously stretch.

I agree with the acoustic biologist, we are only at the cusp of all there is to know. And personally I think some of what there is to know will be mind-bendingly strange and eternally mysterious ... like elastic time. Here's wishing you mysterious and elastic days and nights!

No comments: