The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Zenith Solid State from 1970s Remains Solid

Back in the early to mid-1970s, I wanted a clock radio to get me up for school in the morning. I went shopping and found this Zenith with the sliding number clock display (the numbers are on a film that rolls into and out of the screen and is backlit). It was on sale as the floor display model was the only one left. It has a plastic case with faux wood sides and top to indicate quality ... you see back in the day wood cabinets still represented quality products so some early plastic items were made to look like wood and suggest quality.

Today, I appreciate the durability of this old Zenith. While some time ago it gave up on telling time, it still finds and plays radio stations quite well. The sound it deep and the tones clear. Sure, it has been relegated to service in the bathroom, providing news for me, classics for my wife, and rock for the kids. It endures and continues to serve.

Considering the number of computers I've been through, watches, and various electronic gear of more recent vintage, I have to say I appreciate a product that endures like this old Zenith. It can't do all it used to do ... but it still does its primary job. As long as it continues to do so, I'll keep this old radio around and remember that not everything was always made for a throw away culture. I appreciate that.

Do you have any old, enduring objects in your life you'd like to discuss? Let me know. Please, though, don't bring up spouses. I don't want to be responsible for the strife that follows!

If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

No comments: