The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Blog Reconstruction and the Dread Bounce: Sloggin' Thru Blogging

The appearance and concept will continue to be tweaked.
The original purpose of this blog was to advertise my children's book, Michael and the New Baby. After about a year, I realized that this just wasn't going to be the medium for me to accomplish that goal. The blog teetered on the edge of extinction.

But, I write for a living. It's what I do. I enjoyed the discipline of sitting down for 30 minutes or less regularly and knocking out pieces on topics of interest ... well, to be honest, to ME. It became a writing and creativity exercise that kept this blog alive for closing in on 1000 posts.

I have an eclectic range of interests. Over time, chasing my interests, a series of themes coalesced and you see them listed in the top of this newly revised blog. While the common wisdom is to focus laser-like on a single topic, I prefer a sawed off shotgun approach.

So, now, rather than showing up for what are often geek world posts and discovering a children's site (at least in appearance) and fleeing in confusion or irritation, I hope the template and the revised title more clearly state the purpose of this blog.

Further, since my SiteMeter started acting up (not reporting everything going on since January) I activated Google Analytics and discovered "Bounce Rate." Looking it up and discovering this records how many viewers come for a single look and bounce right away again ... then discovering what my bounce rate is (never mind you!) I looked into what to do to encourage further browsing. Now the most popular blog posts listing and the blog search feature are right at the top, which was recommended, along with some other changes. We'll see if that has any effect. If you want to load Google Analytics but aren't sure how, try this: http://andywibbels.com/how-to-add-google-analytics-to-your-blogger-blog/

From here on out, all posts on these fairly wide ranging topics will be completed in 30 minutes or less, each and every one. That's 30 minutes from concept to publishing ... no more, ever. The clock is running.

Welcome to the 30 Minute Blogger, which J.S. Brooks proudly presents.

Of course, I'll still be promoting the book: If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

No comments: