The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Opportunity Begets ... Opportunity!


Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.
Bob Feller 
Opportunity is often best sought vigorously and creatively. I have long admired folks who aggressively sought out opportunity to be proactive and make a positive difference in the lives of others in ways both large and small. So, rather than waiting for certain opportunities to come my way [I'm going to remain cryptic about this for now], I chose to strike out and seek opportunity myself. I decided to prepare while I wait. Changing my approach, I went to knock on opportunity's various doors. 

Change brings opportunity.Nido Qubein 
Change did indeed bring opportunity. I joined a storytelling society, went to a guild meeting, and a strange thing happened. Knocking on that door I found friends ... not so strange ... but was then requested to pass along what I'd learned about the subject in seminary. Opportunity begat opportunity. 

I suggested a change in operating structure to an organization I do volunteer work for ... and was asked to run a seminar on making that change. Seen as proactive in that organization, I was asked to meet with the head of another organization to see if our two groups could help each other. I was invited by that leader to speak before an entirely different group. 

I discovered that opening myself to one opportunity was leading to all sorts of unexpected additional opportunities. Seeking to change my ways opened me up to the possibilities for a great many changes. Interacting with like-minded folks on specific issues spun off additional opportunities to interact. I have now discovered why the folks I admire are so very busy. Opportunities chased lead to new and unexpected opportunities ... provided you keep your eyes open and act upon those opportunities as they present themselves. Sit back and let them slide on by and the spring quickly dries up (much like blogging ... post frequently and be read or watch the readership shrivel).* 

So, get ready, do some prep work, and reach out in the directions of your passions. Who knows what you'll find. However, be flexible in your thinking. As one industrialist said: 
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.Thomas A. Edison 


Enjoy the possibilities!

* I understand that this is not universally true. Finding jobs in this market is a hellish task at best where opportunities are few and far between. I stand with you and pray for you and your family in your suffering as you seek work. Please do not see this post as a glib attempt to provide an easy answer to your dilemma. It is not intended to be such. 

The quotes you have enjoyed here came from BrainyQuote: 
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/opportunity.html#qOy4C6crHoTCTu5S.99 

For a famous quote related to personal attitude adjustment, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-will-you-be-today.html

Gentlemen, for an opportunity to woo your lady love this spring, I highly recommend the following: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2011/10/gentlemen-i-commend-these-words-to-you.html  

Finally, I'll take an opportunity to recommend a book! If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

No comments: