The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Friday, April 19, 2013

Parents: For Children Worried by Terrible Events

If you have children who have heard through the school grape vine, from friends, or from the news they hear you listening to or see you watching and have become anxious, let me direct you to the Facebook site of a grand master in dealing with such issues. The site is The Fred Rogers Company and may be found at: http://www.fredrogers.org/new-site/tragic-events1.html The particular page I've provided deals directly with this issue in a short, educational video from the late, great Fred Rogers himself. There is also a full page of wonderful advice on how to help your child deal with crisis. In doing so, you'll find you also help yourself.

I discovered this site while looking to confirm that Fred Rogers' mother really did say what I'd seen posted on Facebook. She did. She was speaking to a young Fred when he was worried about some event in the world. Fred Rogers tells it this way: "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

I hope this helps your child. 

For ways to help children deal with grief, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2010/01/helping-child-deal-with-grief-and-loss.html

To help deal with your own grief, please see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2012/11/in-grief-you-truly-learn-where-you-stand.html


If you have a child fearful about soon becoming an older brother or sister, this book can help. If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishing.com/bookstore-marketplace/children-s-books/michael-and-the-new-baby/

No comments: