The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Articulate Article on George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin Ruling

I have no words to express my feelings in regards to the ruling in Florida on George Zimmerman's case. Fortunately, Jim Wallis has no such problem. I commend to you the following article for your consideration: http://sojo.net/blogs/2013/07/15/lament-white-father All I will add is that the dream of "post racial America" has been postponed ... long postponed by recent events. To my African American brothers and sisters out there, I'm sorry. I cannot begin to imagine the pain associated with having to tell your children, especially your sons, to be wary of anyone who approaches them and might consider them a threat while they are out of the house, especially in states with those misbegotten stand your ground laws (see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2012/03/demand-repeal-of-all-stand-your-ground.html). For all those who are armed, live with the "what if?" psychological mindset (see; http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2013/07/saying-no-to-fear-soaked-what-if-world.html), and have watched too many vigilante justice films, please consider the life George Zimmerman will be living moving forward, always looking over his shoulder and wondering if someone will be coming after HIM with a gun now, as his brother recently stated. What a painful irony. It reminds me of Jesus' admonition in Matthew 26:52 (although the circumstances are far different): Then Jesus said to him, ‘Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.'

I am praying for everyone as we have all been impacted by this case and its multi-level tragedy. I am praying that in some way this case will lead us (kicking and screaming probably) toward the day that the prophet Amos (5:24) cried out for when "justice will roll down like water and righteousness like an ever flowing stream." We aren't anywhere near there yet. I pray that one day, we may all reach the bright moment when, as Jesus prayed for us in John 17:20, "they may all be one."* I pray for the day when everyone may walk down the street without fear, no one feels the need to be armed, and all may reach out to the other in love as we have become one. I'm afraid we have a very long way to go.

Looks like I had a few words after all.

*Please go and read these Scripture readings in context to consider their broader implications ... and to judge for yourself if I have used them properly. These are from the NRSV translation. 

No comments: