- Chocolate (Hang in there, it's bad, but white chocolate has no chocolate in it. See, it's not impossible.)
- Carbonated drinks (Yeah, there goes your favorite soda, but stay strong.)
- Caffeine (I know, for many of you I should have placed that first. Still, three days of headaches and you're cured.)
- Citrus fruits and citrus fruit juices (Come on, you still have apple, grape, and other non-citrus fruits and juices.)
- Alcohol (Yeah, even that.)
- Tomato-based foods (includes Ketchup and sauces) and spicy foods and hot sauce (For me, these would be near the top, actually.)
- Fatty foods
- Your smoking days are done if that is your other habit of choice.
- You'll need to take off the extra pounds if you have them (if you don't, don't talk to me ... but congratulations I say, begrudgingly.)
- Exercise but don't lift weights (That hurts. I love weight lifting. But I also love the elliptical so I'll live.)
- Don't eat 3-4 hours before bedtime. (Make dinner the last food of the day.)
- Eat smaller meals spread over the course of the day. (No all you can eat buffets.)
- Find a nice triangular pillow (big wedge-shaped things) that will elevate your head and chest.
- This last one will seem ironic after all these don'ts ... reduce your stress levels. (Amusing, no?)
If you are a speaker, you really need to deal with this. You will probably also need the advice in this post: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2013/09/coaxing-hoarse-voice-into-working-order.html
Another malady you should be aware of, if only to avoid, is shingles and you can be informed with this post: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2010/07/shingles-js-brooks-public-service.html