|Artist's image courtesy of NASA|
- January 19, U.S. President Gerald Ford pardons Iva Toguri D'Aquino (a.k.a. Tokyo Rose).
- January 20, Jimmy Carter succeeds Gerald Ford as 39th President of US.
- January 21, Jimmy Carter pardons Vietnam War draft evaders.
- January 23, Roots begins its phenomenally successful run on ABC TV.
- February 7, Soviet Union launches Soyuz 24 to dock with Salyut 5 space station.
- February 15, Space Shuttle program, first test taxi flight of Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- March 10, rings of Uranus discovered (leading to endless off color jokes).
- April 30, Led Zeppelin sets a new world record attendance for an indoor solo attraction at the Pontiac Silverdome when 76,229 persons attended a concert here on the group's 1977 North American Tour (rock on!).
- May 17, Elizabeth II commences here 1977 Silver Jubilee tour in Glasgow, Scotland (I'd pick up a souvenir glass mug commemorating that event on a college trip to London in 1981).
- May 25, Star Wars opens in cinemas and later becomes historic highest grossing film for that time ... forever changing how we geeks viewed science fiction films.
- May 26, George Willig climbs South Tower of World Trade Center
- June 4, the VHS videocassette format introduced in North America, Video Home System. System called Vidstar, cost $1,280. Blank tapes: $20 each.
- June 25, American Roy Sullivan is struck by lightning for the seventh time.
- June 26, Elvis Presley holds last concert at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis.
- August 3, Tandy Corporation TRS-80 Model I computer announced at press conference (called affectionately the "trash 80" by kids who got one).
- August 12, The NASA Space Shuttle, named Enterprise, makes first test free-flight from back of Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.
- August 15, The Big Ear, a radio telescope operated by Ohio State University as part of SETI project receives a radio signal from deep space; the event is named the Wow! signal for a notation made by a volunteer on the project.
- August 20, Voyager Program: The US launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
For more on Voyager 1's recent accomplishment, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2013/09/voyager-1-spacecraft-makes-history-goes.html