The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, January 6, 2014

Enjoy the Moment. The Five Minute Response

We spend a lot of time multitasking. We keep ourselves very busy and we like it. Caffeinated, full schedule, to do lists with boxes being checked, calls sent and received, emails answered, time spent with our Facebook friends ... and there goes the day. We feel like a hub rather than a spoke, the machine rather than a cog. We try to put ourselves back in the center of a busyness universe in which so many things revolve around us. In the process, we forget to pause. We forget to breathe. We forget to appreciate what others are doing for us and how much better they are making our lives.

Yesterday afternoon I was ordained as a minister. I now hold the title Reverend. It means a lot. It represents a whole mountain of business accomplished ... and far more to come.

Yesterday morning I sat down and read a brief passage from theologian Henri Nouwen's devotional guide Bread for the Journey that was remarkably appropriate to the moment. He advised me to be patient. He advised me to appreciate the moment, to savor it, to live in it rather than work through it. It was great advice.

During the ordination service, I had to remind myself to be there in the moment. I needed to set aside all the electronic devices (for full disclosure, my wife had the video camera and still camera and was recording parts of the event ... I wasn't completely virtuous here), clear my mind of all the to dos to come, banish the "what if" questions lurking about the immediate future that would want to spoil the moment, and appreciate what everyone present and what God was doing for me and with me in that moment. I sat there or participated and soaked in as much of the moment as I could.

It was wonderful to pause, to see the loving family, friends, and new colleagues who are walking alongside me in this journey of life. It was wonderful.

I encourage you to carve out a moment or two to breathe, to consider, to soak in before rushing off on the next to do list. May your day be blessed with such a moment.

And that's the five minute response.

Peace.

No comments: