The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Power of Timeless Photograph. The Five Minute Response

Want to take photos that will withstand the test of time? 

Start with people. We find each other fascinating. Play with color and black and white photography. Notice that with color your mind focuses on the masses of color and their interplay. With black and white photography it is all about detail and patterns. A lot of the best people photography doesn't try to get the whole body in the photo, but focuses on faces, hands, the interplay with others, the emotions. We all know what feet look like and really don't need to see your subject's unless there is something compelling going on down there. However, the type I'm exploring today includes the whole person in action ... and WOW did that photo bring back memories!

However, the photo that really took me back yesterday at a local restaurant called The Avenue was the photo of a kid, about 12 years old, on a massive bike from the 1950s to 1970s era with 26" wheels and extremely sturdy construction. That photo took me back to my own childhood and the 26" wheels on my golden Hercules. When I first got it, like that kid, the bike seemed huge. I had to mount it from a street curb to get enough height to ascend. In that timeless photo, the kid is leaning over the handlebars, peddling for all he's worth to get the speed up, and going like the wind. I remembered those days in a flash. The feel of those large tires on the street or the trail or going down the middle of a rocky creek bed. While this kid's bike had a basket, mine had a headlamp run by a friction generator on the back tire. I remember changing gears with the white handle grip gear shift, running up and down the three speeds as the hills demanded, leaning forward and peddling my heart out going uphill and feeling the heady rush slaloming down hill with those tires going faster and faster, the later added speedometer telling me when I was exceeding residential street speed limits ... always a little rush when you're twelve. 

All of this from one timeless photo. That's how it is done, my friends.

And that's the five minute response.

No comments: