The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Why We Write ...


Twentieth century Christian writer and theologian Henri Nouwen is one of my favorites. In his devotional book, Bread for the Journey, I found this wonderful reason why we write ... or why we should. Henri argues,
  One of the arguments we often use for not writing is this: "I have nothing original to say. Whatever I might say, someone else has already said it, and better than I will ever be able to." This, however, is not a good argument for not writing. Each human being is unique and original, and nobody has lived what we have lived. Furthermore, what we have lived, we have lived not just for ourselves but for others as well. Writing can be a creative and invigorating way to make our lives available to ourselves and to others.
  We have to trust that our stories deserve to be told. We may discover that the better we tell our stories the better we will want to live them.
I find these terrific reasons to write. I have written books and articles for over twenty years. I have blogged for a few years now. I do not believe my writing has made an earth shattering difference, but I do like to get my unique perspective out there, just in case it is a help to anyone. Having published in niche markets, I have no illusions that I'm reaching mass markets ... certainly that is not the case with my humble blog. But, if I can touch a heart now and then, help someone having difficulty, or present a different perspective to just one person now and then, I'm happy. Henri Nouwen is right. Write to make your life, your unique experiences and perspectives, available to others. Who knows where it will lead? Thanks for reading.

Now, go write.

For advice on effectively delivering what you write in a public forum, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2010/08/speak-convincingly.html

No comments: