The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, July 21, 2014

Apollo 11 TV Broadcast - Neil Armstrong First Step on Moon

 It was 45 years ago (July 20, 1969) that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the surface of the moon. This was and remains a technological triumph for humanity and says a lot about our inquisitive nature. The politics that led to this moment, the race for arms superiority between the U.S. and Russia, take nothing away from this achievement.

I was nine years old when this event took place. I remember seeing part of it at my Grandmom's house with the family watching. However, 10:39 pm was a little late for this kid. I nodded off before the main event. I remember watching the image of the LM sitting there on the surface of the moon for what seemed like forever for me. It's nice to be able to look back on this event all these years later and better appreciate what a sleepy nine-year-old could not.

I fervently hope I will live long enough to see humans set foot on another celestial body again.

Thanks to everyone involved who made this momentous event possible. You helped us dream of and aspire to more.

For one of my most popular posts on human spaceflight activity, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2010/03/progress-in-manned-space-flight.html

No comments: