The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, July 21, 2014

Sloggin' Thru Blogging: 10,000 Hours!?

I've set one of my "Google Alerts" searches to seek out articles on blogging success. In some ways, these articles are like the child raising books my wife and I read before the birth of our first kid. The advice varied decade by decade, was often contradictory, and frequently flew in the face of common sense. We carefully set those books aside and moved on. The kids came out fine, thank you very much.

The most recent article states that blogging success comes from a diligent application of hours to the project. With 10,000 hours of blogging under one's belt, one will have made the blogging process routine and with that routine, all that practice, all that verbiage, the practiced blogger will find success through practiced familiarity with the medium. That and check out what wildly successful bloggers do.

Okay, I can understand that. Practice makes perfect and all. But, then there was that bit about blogging every day. That I find extremely difficult as ... well ... how to put it tactfully ... LIFE gets in the way. This comes on the heels of the article stating quality over quantity is the way to go. There's truth in that as well. But, I'm getting that queasy feeling that I'm receiving that wonderful, contradictory advice from the child raising books again.

So, rather than casting it all aside, I'll go for a compromise. Somewhere along the line, some day, I just might get in that 10,000+ hours. I'll strive for quality wherever I can and restrain myself from writing what I believe to be total crap that wastes everyone's time. We shall see. I'm also armed with all those trending topics (blogging advice being among those topics worthy of discussion) so I can keep to hot topic grounds ... if I so choose.

I'll also be keeping it short, which is more advice received ... and probably among the best considering the amount of material blogged each and every day around the globe!

Good luck, fellow bloggers!

Other useful Sloggin' Thru Blogging posts: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2014/07/sloggin-thru-blogging-top-ten-blog-post.htmlhttp://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2014/07/sloggin-thru-blogging-quality-over.html, and http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2014/07/google-alerts-search-for-you.html

No comments: