The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween 2014: "Engage Bob!"

Ghostly Sentries Guard Our Door
This is the first empty nest year for my wife and I. I was thinking I wasn't going to be involved with Halloween. No pumpkin carving for me. By the time I get home all but the die hard last of the trick or treaters will be home. But, bless my wife, she bought a pumpkin yesterday ($5 for a big one ... last minute deals on jack o' lanterns to be are GOOD), pulled out the decorations, and got the carving knives back in my mitts. I found this sort of 1930s style face in one of those carving books, picked up tools my kids had used but I hadn't, and soon I was engrossed and feeling some of the old joy of the season. I had an epiphany. I was reminded of the scene in The Incredibles where Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is moping and Helen Parr (Elastigirl) yells at him "Engage Bob!" It is definitely worth the time and effort to engage in a holiday you have always enjoyed when you're a little blue, going through some life change, and thinking it's time to give up some things. Heck, no! Get back in the game. Engage! It's a lot more fun.

Okay, but they're friendly ghosts, welcoming kids, not scaring them

So, to help you engage, here are a couple of Halloween offerings.

Snap Judgment's Spooked V: Innocence Lost for after the kids have gone: http://www.snapjudgment.org/spookedV

And here's a spooky video with a setup. Some years ago, in summer, we were camping in a state park in Indiana. One night we drove past a rural cemetery to discover it was dotted with spectral blue light here and there among the tombstones. Here is a video confirming our sightings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKVnBIrCNEs&list=UUBxxX5sENGIcCowZ314locA At that point we had yet to experience solar lights ... and still puzzle over the significance of their graveside use.

Finally, if you feel the urge to go dig where you shouldn't this Halloween night, perhaps looking for a brain for your latest creation, this church is prepared! See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMbl3dYK2NA&list=UUBxxX5sENGIcCowZ314locA

Have a wonderful, engaged Halloween night!
Happy Halloween!

No comments: