The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, February 16, 2015

1966 Batmobile: Deep Impact of Pop Culture

Yeah, I grew up watching the 1966-1968 Batman TV series. Most of the references Adam West and Burt Ward and all the rest made went over my little kid head, I admit it. But the Batmobile, now that stuck with me. It was based on the 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car and it was a thing of beauty.

My brother knows me well. He knows my love of the pop culture of my childhood. He and his wife got me a Batmobile and the first year disc of the Batman show, from 1966 to 1967. There it was again, a thing of beauty. It was fun to watch and as much a character as the Enterprise on the original Star Trek series (1966 to 1969 ... those were good years for TV). What was more fun was to see all the mechanical gadgets and gizmos built into the car. At one point, when the Batmobile puts out the Riddler's fire bomb, he gasps in amazement, "That car's alive!" I wonder how he would have felt about modern cars that can parallel park themselves, guide you across country, and so much else.

It was also wonderful to catch up with all the jokes that I didn't catch as a kid and to see so many wonderful actors and actresses make their appearances as classic villains and heroes. But, I learned something that startled me, looking at the classic lines of that 1960s Batmobile built on a 1950s Lincoln. I do believe my love for the form of the 1961-63 Ford Thunderbird convertible comes from the Caped Crusader's ride. Amazing how pop culture can get into your head in unexpected ways.

Of course, this version of the Batmobile you can actually own,
thanks to Hotwheels.

Tune in again, same Bat Channel, same Bat Time for more.

To see that T-bird in all her glory, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2011/01/ford-thunderbird-1963.html

For more on the Batmobile itself, let me suggest: http://www.1966batmobile.com/

To see a Batmobile out there on the road today, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2015/02/1966-batmobile-crime-fighter.html

For a post on the changing world of comics, see: http://jsbrookspresents.blogspot.com/2010/01/comic-books-reflect-changing-times-and.html

No comments: