The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Saying "No" and Taking Care

I have this week off from work. My job is very intense, filled with many obligations to others under circumstances that change regularly. It would be very easy to be completely absorbed in this work, to the point where I lose myself in the job. That would be a terrible mistake. It would lead to quick burnout. I knew I was in danger my first day off when I started to feel panicky about what might not be getting done while I was gone. What a red flag that moment was!

We all have to learn when to say no. There are demands and requests made that (through no fault of the person making them) are beyond the bounds of what each of us should do. We have to learn to politely say no when these requests come up. If we do not, our regular work does not get done, what we manage to complete is not done as well as it would be if we were able to focus on it, and many projects will utterly fail. In saying no, there are times when we can encourage an individual to do the work themselves or recommend someone who is able to do it and for whom it is a better fit with their job description.

We have to learn to say no to our machinery as well. We are becoming way too much like Star Trek: The Next Generation's Borg, integrating machines too far into our lives and letting them run us instead of us running them. A perfect example of this occurred recently. An audience member attending the Broadway play Hand to God clambered up onto the stage before the play and plugged in a cell phone to the stage set electrical outlet (a prop mind you). That is being way too dependent on the phone. I suppose it peeped that it was low on power and the owner slavishly sought to remedy the phone's problem rather than going without it for several hours (as should have been done anyway ... come on, you're at a Broadway play) during the performance and until arriving at some appropriate charging place ... like home. For more on this incident, see: http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/story/29494387/broadway-audience-member-plugs-in-to-onstage-prop-outlet-to-charge-phone

Finally, I've noticed I've been so busy lately I have not done some of the things I truly enjoy in the off time I do have. I'm going to be getting back to those hobbies now. I'm going to end this slippery slide to burnout before it is too late.

Watch out, that busy schedule is addictive. It makes you feel important and in charge ... until it nearly kills you. Take care, my friends.

No comments: