The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Aging Beagle Transformed

Daisy celebrating New Years Day ...
I watched a transformation this morning that was impressive. It was 6 a.m. and I let our now fed beagle Daisy out the back door. I knew something was different immediately. Instead of slowly trotting out into the grass, her ears perked up, her eyes locked, her body lowered and she began to move forward with a sinewy grace I would not have thought possible for a 15-year-old dog. This transformation was caused by a young and foolish rabbit in the middle of the yard. I clapped and yelled (I had to do it twice, I don't hold a lot of hope for that bunny's future) to change the scenario's outcome. Daisy has dispatched two bunnies who disrespected her hunting skills over the years and I didn't want to see a third. With the rabbit gone, Daisy stood up straighter and gave me a reproachful glare before getting down to business.

Please do not think your dog "mean" if it goes after and kills a small prey animal like a rabbit. In our case, the beagle was bred for the hunt. Also, instinct kicks in when faced with such an opportunity. Some dogs listen to that instinct more closely when it calls than others. Our previous dog, a German Shepherd mix had an agreement with the local rabbits. She would pretend to chase them and they would pretend to run away. It was an amiable agreement. Daisy, however, sees things differently. 

No comments: