The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, August 24, 2015

Fat Bike Sighting: A First For Me. The Five Minute Response

I was in a department store the other day looking for who knows what when I saw it. A "fattie" ... that is a "fat bike" although I did not know it then. All I saw was a mountain bike with humongous tires. I stopped dead in my tracks. What the ... isn't that a lot of work??? I ride a completely outdated 12 speed with curled handle bars and really skinny tires. Those tires allow me to coast forever on roads ... but there is no going off trail with them ever. These huge tires look like you'd be peddling constantly to keep them moving.

So I looked them up, curiosity raised. They've been around for a few years now, these "fatties" and are now filtering down into the mainstream where us bicycle trend clueless people live. These tires are good for your butt over long distances as they are cushy in their girth. They also go like gangbusters in snow and sand (who knew?). Apparently, they shouldn't replace your regular bike according to one expert I read ... but they are a lot of fun to have in the stable.

Gotta say, on second glance, they do look like fun.

And that's the five minute response.

For more, see the people for bikes blog article: http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/why-fat-bikes-could-be-for-you

No comments: