The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, August 24, 2015

Nook Dictionary and Prolegomenon

I learned something new today about the mechanics of my Nook reader while exploring Dr. Craig Keener's book, Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts. I came across the word prolegomenon in the Introduction. Usually I'm pretty good at figuring out words in context, but this one had me stumped. I placed my finger over the word to highlight it so I could see a definition from online. Nook asked me if I'd like to download the dictionary. I did. That was a pleasant surprise for me. The second surprise was that prolegomenon is defined as prefatory remarks: a formal essay or critical discussion serving to introduce and interpret an extended work. This is a two volume set. These are prefatory remarks?! Phew, Dr. Keener!

There's also a nifty bit of dry humor about "intelligent design" and the book, also in the Introduction. 

Learning something new every day.

For more on the book, see: http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Credibility-New-Testament-Accounts/dp/0801039525/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440445360&sr=1-1&keywords=Miracles%3A+The+Credibility+of+the+New+Testament+Accounts

No comments: