The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Monday, August 24, 2015

Observations at a Zoo

By 2 pm most of the denizens of the zoo were up from their
sensible naps.
Visiting family on vacation in Ohio, we ventured off to the Columbus Zoo. I won't bore you with all the different animals, issues of how they were kept (pro or con), blah, blah, blah. Here's what I noted that I found of interest.

We arrived at a little before noon. Most of the sensible animals were down for naps in the Midwest, midday heat. Up and about were we humans ... and the primates. What does that say about us? Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noonday sun? Perhaps.

I wish I could relax like Red Pandas, hanging limp as dishrags from high up in trees.

There was one diva among the flying foxes, spreading wings for all to see and admire, turning this way and that, while the rest tried to sleep on and ignore their preening neighbor.

Now, I know that these are hard times financially for many people and organizations. Zoos need sponsors. But, I have to say, I did a double take at the Bob Evans petting zoo. Does that seem like a conflict of interest to anybody else???

Really? Petting zoo sponsored by a restaurant chain?

No comments: