The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Friday, July 14, 2017

Hobby Time: Gloor Craft Single Stall Engine House Work Continues

Painting nearly done. I find this mailing package cardboard a
great painting surface as I'm not the neatest painter. The lighted
magnifier is a must for me. It makes painting fine details possible.
It has been an interesting challenge working on this old wooden model. After traveling through decades from the 1970s (I believe), the single stall engine house was missing a few pieces. I bought a pack of balsa wood and recreated the back wall of the office using the front wall as a template. The cast half window over the engine house's front door was missing, so I filled that back in. Looking over historical photos of old engine houses, I see this was a common fate for such features. I had to decide how to paint the engine house and ran across historical information that railroad lines would paint many of their buildings in particular colors. Since the town that is my inspiration is located in western Maryland, I went with an approximation of the Western Maryland RR's paint scheme for their buildings, medium gray with crimson trim. That worked well enough for this project. The painting is nearly complete and construction will begin soon. On the right hand side of one of the pictures is a paint stirring stick with masking tape attached. It's a great way, I learned via YouTube videos from model railroaders, for hanging on to small pieces in need of paint.

The top left wall had to be recreated and the half window infilled in the
bottom left front wall of the engine shed.

It's an ongoing adventure and so far I'm enjoying the process immensely. It certainly is different from the plastic model kits. It is a more hands on process, requiring additional steps not necessary with the plastic kits, including cutting out the openings for all the windows and doors, and creating interior bracing along wall edges and door frames.

As you can see, taping the instructions to the wall, out of harm's way, works best for me.

For a source for historic paint schemes of various railways, see: http://www.alphabetroute.com/wm/protopaint.php

No comments: