The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Friday, January 28, 2011

Challenger: 25 Years Ago Today

Challenger Crew 1986. Courtesy of NASA: http://nix.larc.nasa.gov/search;jsessionid=1swxgk3d2uxf5
The question posed in the news today (January 28, 2011) is, "Where were you 25 years ago when the space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after liftoff?" It gives me a shudder to think back to that awful day. I find it difficult to believe it has been 25 years since that tragic event. Still, here's the story:

I was in an archaeological lab in Atlanta, Georgia, when the site director burst into the lab and declared, "The space shuttle blew up!" Time stood still. Silence descended. We were all shocked by the tragic news and very little work was done for the rest of the day. Having grown up a huge fan of the space program, I was deeply struck by the loss. I remember thinking, now I know how people felt when JFK was assassinated. I was too young to remember that, was old enough to have vague memories of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King's assassinations, but this was the tragic event that struck home hard for me.

As I remember it, Congress had been pushing hard for NASA to declare the space shuttle flights routine rather than experimental, insisting the shuttle flights occur at regular and regulated intervals. This was one of the factors that led to the disaster. Never again would the shuttle fleet be viewed in that light. Spaceflight was, is, and always will be risky business. Those who willingly undertake the risks are to be admired for their resolve.

For a more detailed article on the happenings that day, see: http://blog.nasm.si.edu/2011/01/28/remembering-challenger-25-years-later/

A moment of silence please as we remember the crew who gave their lives in the pursuit of knowledge and adventure on the high frontier. The crew that awful day was:

Dick Scobee
Mike Smith
Ellison Onizuka
Judy Resnik
Ron McNair
Christa McAuliffe
Greg Jarvis

R.I.P.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in my dorm room, skipping algebra to watch Santa Barbara. I was annoyed that my soap had been pre-empted. Then, I watched in horror. It was a very significant moment in my life, as I quickly forgot my irritation and couldn't even believe what I was seeing.

J.S. Brooks said...

Tragic events have a profound way of reprioritizing our lives. Thank you for telling your story.