The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sloggin' Thru Blogging: Updating Abject Failure, All Is Not Lost

After one year I wrote that the original intent of the blog had failed. This blog site had not promoted my children's book Michael and the New Baby at all in any way that I could measure. At that point I gave up the attempt and resolved simply to blog about the things that interest and entertain me.

Now the update: Little did I know at that time that this was exactly the approach to take. I discovered the hard way (as most great discoveries are made) that this is precisely what is necessary to promote the book. Since making that decision, readers have clicked through to the publisher's site from the blog (through links attached to the book art found along the right side of the blog) a modest number of times, a vast improvement. Over the next year, as I continue down this path, I'm hopeful for growing readership (slow but steady rise in total numbers of visitors) and further success finding readers for Michael and the New Baby as well.

It seems like a backwards approach, new bloggers, but it works.
I wrote my blog's obituary far too soon,
I'm happy to report.

Update 2: Below is another innovation that has met with some success. I now advertise the book at the end of each new blog post. This has also given modest increase to the numbers of people who click through to the publisher's website (although the jury is very much out on whether this will net new sales). 

If you like what you read here, you can support this blog (don't let me go it alone here): You can order a copy of the children's book Michael and the New Baby directly from Old Line Publishing at: http://www.oldlinepublishingllc.com/index_files/OldLinePublishingChildrensMichaelandtheNewBabybyJSBrooks.htm 




No comments: