The Thirty Minute Blogger

Exploring Books and the Writer's Life, Faith and Works, Culture and Pop Culture, Space Science and Science Fiction, Technology and Nostalgia, Parenting and Childhood, Health: Physical and Emotional ... All Under the Iron Hands of the Clock and That 30 Minute Deadline

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Discovering Shared Truths

As Matthew 15:11 reminds us: "It's not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth."


There is so much deep wisdom there. I experienced this personally this morning. NPR featured an interview with a retired senator of a party I usually disagree with ... no, I won't say which one as that would just get defenses going and rhetoric spinning in our heads.
 
I rolled my eyes and braced myself for a round of rhetorical vitriol and no truth whatsoever. I was expecting anger. However, what this retired senator spoke, on the budget no less, was simple truth I could agree with. I was absolutely astonished about how much ground we shared in common.
 
I was shocked. I was suspicious. I searched for hidden agendas and code words and came away empty handed.
 
Then I remembered Matthew 15:11. We have spent a lot of time and energy defiling ourselves with heated rhetoric. We've become so good at it we've missed the fact that all of us share common needs and concerns. We all need good food, shelter, love, family, medical care, and community (to name just a few of life's necessities). We share common concerns and common fears. If we could strip away the rhetoric and stop defiling ourselves and each other, we might actually be able to get things done.

No comments: